Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce


Once upon a time I was engaged to the most adorable boy this girl has ever laid eyes on. Now this boy tried to make my 21st birthday extra special by making me a delicious pasta dinner. He called his mom for a recipe, went to the store, and banned me to the living room while he cooked me up some dinner.

The only thing this boy didn't know (or seemed to have forgotten) is that I...at the time.... was a terribly picky eater. But, lucky for me, with time he cured me so now I can eat meals like this.



Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce
Source: Bena
Serves: 4-5

1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c. yellow squash, chopped
3/4 c. zucchini, chopped
3/4 c. white onion, chopped
3/4 c. red bell pepper, chopped
1 can fire roasted tomatoes, 14.5 oz
1 can tomato sauce, 15 oz
salt, to taste

Cheese tortellini
Parmesan cheese

Directions: In a large saute pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and allow it to saute for about 1 minute. Next add the bell peppers and onion. Allow them to cook for about 3-5 minutes. Add the squash and zucchini and allow them to cook for another 4-5 minutes or so. Finally add the can of tomato sauce and the fire roasted tomatoes. Allow the sauce to simmer about 15 minutes. Salt to taste. Serve over your pasta of choice--we love cheese tortellini! Top with Parmesan cheese.

**Another good add would be artichoke hearts...however although I've made progress with my picky eater habits...artichoke hearts and I still don't get along. Maybe I just need more time?? Tyson seems to think so.