Friday, September 7, 2012

Bran Breakfast Muffins

I have ALWAYS loved baking. I often use it as therapy... cheap, fattening, delicious, therapy. Well I grew up in a sugar free, low sodium, reduced fat kind of home. So, as I'm sure you can imagine, there weren't a lot of ingredients just laying around for baking. Thus insert the bran muffin.

Rummaging around the pantry one afternoon I came across the cardboard All Bran cereal. And what do you know?! It had a recipe for muffins so I figured why not give it a shot. {because lets be honest... the All Bran already hit rock bottom so it can only get better right?} Well one batter and 20 minutes later, I had me a new baking friend.

Bran muffins make a delicious and healthy breakfast on the go or I like to grab one for a quick snack. This is my current go-to recipe.





Bran Breakfast Muffins
Source: allrecipes
Makes: 12

1 1/2 c. wheat bran
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 c. applesauce
1 egg
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


Directions: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease your muffin tin and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine the bran and buttermilk. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.

While you are waiting, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a separate bowl.

Add applesauce, egg, sugar, and vanilla to buttermilk mixture. Stir until will combined. Finally, add the flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are incorporated.

Evenly distribute your batter in the muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.