Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Jewish Sweet Bread

I love love love homemade bread. I love making the dough, I love the way it makes my house smell, and I love the way it tastes slathered in butter straight out of the oven. Maybe the only thing I don't like about it is the mess... because if we are being honest, I'm a messy baker. Two words for you... flour. everywhere. But oh it is so worth the mess! So here is a recipe for all you bread lovers out there.



Jewish Sweet Bread
Source: Kent and Bena
Makes 2 loaves

1 1/4 c. warm water
1/4 c. sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1/4 c. oil
2 eggs
4 1/2 c. bread flour
butter

Directions: Begin by mixing the salt, yeast, sugar and water together. Set aside for about 10 minutes. Next add the oil and eggs. Mix until combined. Finally add the flour. Combine in a mixer with a dough hook, or kneed by hand until smooth and elastic.

Place the dough in a greased bowl and allow it to rise until it has doubled in size. Next punch it down and cut in half. Divide each section into three equal parts. Braid the dough together making two loaves.

Brush each loaf with melted butter. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and allow the dough to rise again. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is an even golden brown. Brush your baked bread once more with butter and serve!