Monday, October 22, 2012

Our Favorite Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

This recipe makes enough for about 8 servings so I always end up portioning it out and freezing it for a future meal. Don't get me wrong... I love cooking, but some days I am just not in the mood. Or I'm feeling lazy. Or I don't feel like cooking and THEN having to clean up the mess after. And on those days, I pull out some frozen spaghetti sauce, throw it in the microwave, boil some pasta and call it a good days work.



Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Recipe from: Shannon, ikneadtobake
Servings: 6-8

1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound hot Italian sausage
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
About 1/2 c. chicken broth, as needed
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp crushed rosemary
28 ounces canned tomato sauce
14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
salt, to taste

Directions: Brown Italian sausage in a pan until cooked through. Drain fat. Set aside. In a large pot heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion and saute for about 2 minutes. Add cooked sausage and red wine vinegar. Finally add tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, rosemary, and Italian seasoning.

Allow sauce too simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes. Salt to taste. Serve over desired pasta (we like whole grain spaghetti or rotini) and finish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.